Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:31:50 -0500
From:      Greg Larkin <glarkin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Portmaster binary package upgrade question

On 2/10/12 6:14 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 14:45, Greg Larkin wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm in the midst of building a system to use Tinderbox and FreeBSD jails
>> to keep them up to date as new port updates are committed to the tree.
>>
>> I created some meta-ports in /usr/ports/local/misc to record
>> dependencies and be able to install one top-level port that pulls in all
>> other required ports.
>>
>> I'm now testing the ability to run an upgrade with portmaster once a new
>> package set is built, and I'm using this command:
>>
>> pkgtester# env INDEXDIR=/tmp
>> MASTER_SITE_INDEX=http://pkgbuilder.shn.prv/tb/packages/8.2-FreeBSD-SHN-201202101009/Latest/
>> PACKAGESITE=http://pkgbuilder.shn.prv/tb/packages/8.2-FreeBSD-SHN-201202101009/Latest/
>
> You probably want to put these in a portmaster rc file. Also to avoid
> code duplication you can set the first then use
> PACKAGESITE=$MASTER_SITE_INDEX. The /Latest is going to get stripped off
> anyway. And are you really putting your INDEX file in /Latest/ ??

Ok, will do.  INDEX landed in Latest for the time being, but I'll move
it to the correct place once I tighten up the scripts.

>> portmaster -PP -v --update-if-newer
>
> The --update-if-newer flag is only useful if you're feeding portmaster a
> list of ports, some of which are already up to date.

That flag doesn't apply to any calculated dependencies of the port
specified on the command line, then?

>> --index-only server-web\*
>>
>> ===>>> Currently installed version: server-web-0.201202071358
>> ===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/local/misc/server-web
>
> You can't do 5 levels of port directories. Either leave out the category
> below local, or name the categories local-misc, local-foo, local-bar, etc.
>

> hth,
>
> Doug

Do you mean that portmaster doesn't support 5 level port directories, or
they don't work with the ports tree infrastructure?  I've had good luck
following this guide:
http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-ports&m=117761097231712, but I had to make
changes to bsd.port.mk (PRs filed) to get some parts working.

I found portshaker today, and that looks useful for managing ports tree
overlays, too.

Thank you,
Greg
- --