Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:40:49 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Scott Donovan <scottd@telstra.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BT848/winTV/Teletext/video4linux etc.

Randall

> I grabbed the latest copy of FXTV and it worked a treat, only real pest was
> having to modify the bt848 kernel driver to allow me to use a standard set
> of Australian Frequencies, which also now works wonderfully. Although all
> this was not a process for a total FreeBSD novice..

If you send me the changes, I can include them in the newversion of the
driver.

> However after all this I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone know of a teletext program that works with the bt848 driver  ?

I have one. I have an experimental Bt848 driver and have ported the
Linux
Teletext decode/viewing software to FreeBSD

> 2. Given that it is likely there may be other chipset drivers for FreeBSD
> has anyone thought of pulling together a standard API etc (ala video4linux).

I also wrote part of the V4L API for the FreeBSD driver but never
finished the
work. It would be great if someone could finish the job.

> 3. Is there anyway that we can leverage the stack of code currently out
> there for video4linux? (XawTV,Teletext,WMTV and heaps of others)

Yes, if we write V4L API support into the bt848 driver

> 4. Given that the latest bt848 driver appears to have the appropriate
> defines to cope with the wintv IR remote, will that support be included in
> fxtv?

I added the IR support to the driver. Rolf (I think) wrote a little IR
-> Volume
control application. FXTV support is up to Randall or probably someone
else who has the IR handset.

Yes, send me the patches. (  roger@cs.strath.ac.uk  )

> 6. Could the bt848 frequency set information be dynamically included during
> boot time (ala pnp style commands)?

We could have a userland progam called bt848_config which can load the
driver with
various settings (eg tuner type, audio type, channel sets).

Bye
Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.