Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:21:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BSD Bob <bsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FBSD sparc porting?

> > Anyway.... what actually does exist in the way of FBSD sparc related code,
>
> Virtually nothing. There is some work on a cross-compiler toolchain, and
> a literature search for documentation.

OK, be as specific as we can and let's go from there.....(:+}}...

What cross-compiler toolchain?   Based upon what starting platform?
Do we need cross compilers or should we start from SunOS in the native
hardware platforms?

Documentation?   Where?  What docs?  What docs do we need?  I have lots
of some kinds of sun docs, including hardware docs going back maybe 15
years.  I can probably get access to more from local sun operatives.
That is the only way to keep the old toyz going.

What target platform?   Sun3, sun3x, sun4, sun4c, sun4m (no-got that one)?

What level of code would we need to start at for a minimal system?
2.2.8+ (good old a.out), 3.2 (stable?), 4.0- (neat, but.....)?

I am sticking me neck out a bit.... but......

(Anyone know if a traditional 4.3, Tahoe, Reno, 4.4 port exists for the
 sun hardware?  I was thinking a real 4.4BSD port existed for Sparcs.
 Can we use it as a base for sparc specific stuff, leaving the 7 deadly
 files out?   Anything sparc exist in the Lite or Lite2 trees?)

Where to go from ground zero?????

Bob