Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 1995 06:50:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        john@pyromania.apana.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SyQuest works with FreeBSD 2.0R !

Terry Lambert writes:

> > I have just installed a SyQuest 3.5" 270 MB removable SCSI drive in my
> > FreeBSD 2.0R system.
> >
> > So far everything seems to work just fine!
>
> I was speaking to Darren Davis (the author of IOmega's Bernoulli drivers
> for various types of UNIX, and now in UnixWare developer support at Novell)
> about removable media about a year ago.
>
> You need to be careful if you have more than one drive that you only use
> a single disk in a single drive for a system boot instance, since the
> OS (incorrectly)  uses the device as part of the ident, and can get
> confused if you switch drives.

I don't follow this.  Is this a FreeBSD problem?

> Otherwise, you should have no problems.

Actually, I think he will have a problem - UNIT ATTENTION is
generated when the removable drive is changed.  2.0R doesn't retry
at all on this, and 2.0-current will retry
but not for removable drives because of the chance of someone swapping a
mounted drive.

I think we have to track the "first access after open" and retry even
for removable drives in that case.

I'd like a description of what happens when you unmount a file system,
change the media, and try to mount a filesystem on a removable drive,
including dmesg output.

> Note that Bernoulli's themselves have formatting issues -- they don't use
> a vendor private for their detach format.  If anyone else is considering
> Bernoulli vs. Syquest, this should be part of their decision.
>
> Also dual Bernoulli's and dual Syquest use LUNs on a single target to
> get two devices.  Some of the SCSI drivers are "uncomfortable" with LUNs.
> I would suggest seperate drives at this time.

Which drivers are uncomforable with LUNS?  They shouldn't be too hard to
fix.  We need some pioneers...

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936