Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 19:40:51 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Andreas Pleschutznig <andy@ple.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get NIS beeing recon'ed?

>Thanks, that helped, another question (sorry to bother you, but on Sun I did n
>ot
>have these problems) Do you maybe even know how to make the passwords
>'compatible'? Even though I am using NIS now, if I don't totally reset the
>passwd for a user that user is unable to log in on NIS clients. Resetting the
>passwords is really nasty, especially since I do have a couple of users on my
>boxes which are already happy if they can distinguish between a mouse and a
>keyboard. :-( And I want to avoid to ask them for their password.

I'm not sure what you mean by compatible.  Is this a problem with
the user being on a NIS client that's not FreeBSD?  Or are both
systems the same?  Also, by "reset the password" do you mean clearing
the password field (null password) so they can set a new one?  Or
do you mean you're changing it for them?

Also please remember to send all questions to the list address:
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.  This will get you the quickest answers,
since there's no guarantee I (or anyone specific) will be around when
you send the question, or even know the answer if we are are around.

-Mitch