Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:50:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   closed NFS network

Hi,

I'm trying to patch together a small 100M ether network for NFS traffic
between our POP server and shell server (and in the future, additional
shell machines).  NFS looked like a good way to tackle this, as we can
have the shell machine die, and PPP users can still do most everything but
shell; our shell accounts are strictly a value-add.  Also, future shell
machines could go on the same network and access the same mail spool that
resides on the POP machine, and they could export /home out to the web
server as well.

In the interest of security, it seems like putting NFS on a seperate,
closed network is a bit safer.  My questions then are:

1. Am I on the right track?  It seems this is safer and faster than
sharing the existing ethernet, and we've got the spare 100M cards.

2. Is there any value in using "inside" addresses (10.x.x.x) on these
cards to further confuse someone trying to spoof one of these addresses?

3. So far, I've been unsuccessful in figuring out exactly how to
explicitly state that the machine I'm exporting too is out on another
network.

I'm close, but I'm definetly missing something here...  Any info is
appreciated...

Charles