Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:38:26 -0700
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.org, msmith@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adding SO_NOSIGPIPE to -STABLE/-CURRENT

> This SO_SIGPIPE discussion seems bent on trying to make the signal
> facility more able than it is, when in fact signals were (and are)
> a bad idea in the first place.

Actually, this has nothing to do with it.

The issue revolves around the seperation of resource ownership between a
program and the frameworks that it links with.  In many cases, the
program has no idea that the framework has a pipe/socket open, and is
thus surprised by the signal.  In other cases, it will install its own
handler and be confused.

> Why are you getting SIGPIPE in the first place, rather than
> some other indicator?  Isn't it because you are using the wrong
> system call to send data down a socket?

No, it's because the socket's closed and the signal mask is process-wide.

> If you are going to provide this facility, at *least* make it
> general, and not socket specific.  Make it an fcntl, not a
> setsockopt.

There aren't any file option bits left.

And when was the last time you got SIGPIPE from a file being closed?

Sorry Terry, this one's already been solved.  The single issue here is
whether FreeBSD actually wants to take something back from Darwin, or
whether you're all just too stubborn and stuck up yourselves to take
what is, in reality, a trivial and entirely worthwhile change.

So much for "are Apple going to give anything back"?  Try "is FreeBSD too
arrogant to accept anything from Apple"?

 = Mike

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not