Date:      Sun,  2 Jan 2000 18:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        karl@Denninger.Net
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org

Karl,

	Hi, my name is Jonathan Bresler.  I am the postmaster for
FreeBSD.  Usually, I tend to stay in the background and do the
postmastering.  The recent fractious behavior in the mailing lists has
become so galling that I am forced to "come out from behind the
curtain."

	Lets set the record straight on a couple items:

1. Karl, you are still subscribed to both of the "missing" mailing
lists.  I disabled the "which" command for those two lists:
freebsd-arch and freebsd-security-notifications.  That is why your
subscription to those two lists did not appear when you sent the
"which " request to majordomo.

2. I remove people that bounce mail.  I dont send them email to tell
them that I am reomving them for bouncing mail....I sincerely expect
that the notification email would bounce.  A bounced email is one that
appears in the list(s)-owners mailbox on hub.  So, sites with problems
that do *not* result in immediate bounces and that fix their mail
problems before the email is aged out of the queue, dont have to
worry.  If you suspect that you have been removed, or that I might
remove you, send me an email...explain that you have been having a
mail problem and when you expect the problem to be resolved.

3. Everyone, the FreeBSD mailing lists are a community resource.
While there are many lists.  There is only one set of lists. We all
share in that set of lists.  When one or more people significantly
degrade the quality of the lists, the only option is to remove that
person from the lists.  I have done this about six times in my role as
postmaster these past 5 or 6 years.

4. Core recently published guidelines for committers.  These
guidelines included a minimal acceptable behavior standard. The recent
emails fail to come within a country mile of meeting those standards.
Which perhaps does not matter as the author is not a committer.
Nonetheless, the author is degrading our mailing lists and I am
empowered to act on behalf to the project to prevent people from
degrading the quality of the lists.

It seems that today around 4:51pm PST, Karl unsubscribed from
freebsd-{security,hackers,ports,scsi}.

	So what's the upshot of all this?

Karl, take a two week sabbatical from the FreeBSD mailing lists.
Consider it enforced leave.  I will remove you from the remaining two
mailing lists: freebsd-{announce,security-notifications}.

	That's all folks!  I am going back "behind the curtain" to
continue my spam fighting efforts.  Try to behave a little better out
here.  Some of the mailing list subscribers are trying to sleep.

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler      FreeBSD Core Team, Postmaster       jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--The Power to Serve                          http://www.freebsd.org/