Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 16:12:13 -0500
From:      "Jerry Bell" <jerry@syslog.org>
To:        "Christophe Simon" <titof3000@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Networking hardware question

It partially depends on how the 5 switches and one hub are connected to each
other.  If they 5 of the devices all connect into one central device, you're
probably safe, but if one is connected to the other and on and on, you will
have problems.
The problem is propogation delays when the devices are chained together in
series.  The delay can lead to retries and crashes which, in some cases, can
really degrade the throughput of your network and in some cases halt it all
together.

Jerry