Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2014 00:05:52 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: print/acroread9 Adobe Reader

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:
>
> > Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > >
> > http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/ports/jhs/print/Makefile.local
> > scrolls
> > > >
> > > Can't say of if it supports pdf 1.7, but I have had excellent results
> > with
> > > evince. It uses poppler for PDFs and poppler is still very actively
> > > supported (last release was last month).
> >
> > Thanks Kevin, I just tried it:
> > uname -r
> >         9.2-RELEASE
> > file /tmp/ct600.pdf
> >         /tmp/ct600.pdf: PDF document, version 1.7
> > cd /pri/FreeBSD/branches/amd64/-current/ports/graphics/evince
> > setenv PORTSDIR `pwd`
> > make install
> > cd ../../*/poppler
> > # graphics/poppler
> > make clean; make install        # poppler-0.24.5_4
> >
> > It just said "Please Wait"
> >

> The formatting of the output you sent is a bit garbled.  What said "Please
> Wait"?

Hi Kevin,
Oops, sorry
evince /tmp/ct600.pdf
displayed graphic screen
	"Please Wait"

> Installing graphics/evince should have pulled in graphics/poppler as a
> dependency, but this makes it look like you installed poppler after
> installing evince.

Yes, after you mentioned about poppler, I assumed that dependency was probably
specified, but rather than just glancr at output,
to make absolutely sure, after I had run
	cd evince ; make reinstall
I then ran
	cd ../../*/poppler
make install # [or reinstall ]

> Guess I'm confused.

Sorry, my fault.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Indent previous with "> ".  Interleave reply paragraphs like a play script.