Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 23:46:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@aida.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Zip drive.

On Wed, 23 Aug 1995, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >> when I was using FreeBSD 2.0 I was able to install a ufs file
> >> system on  a zip disk.
> >>
> >> Since I have installed FreeBSD 2.05 I'm unable to do that.
> >>
> >> I probably missed something with fdisk/disklabel.
> >
> >What's the symptom?
> >
> >Peter
> >--
> >Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
> >HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
> >dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267
>
> Most likely your problem is that you are using the whole disk and
> attempting to access it with a slice device.
>
> To get a Zip drive running properly, stick a DOS partition on it, use
> FreeBSD's fdisk to change the sysid to 165 (ie ensure that all other
> portions of the parition remain untouched), then use the following
> disktab entry to slam a disklabel on it:
>
> zip100|Iomega Zip 100: \
>         :ty=winchester:dt=SCSI:se#512:nt#64:ns#32:nc#96:rm#3600:\
>         :pa#196576:oa#0:ba#4096:fa#512:ta=4.2BSD: \
>         :pc#196576:oc#0:
>
> The disklabel assumes Adaptec standard geometry, so you may have to
> tweek it a bit.
>
> The label can be installed with a:
>
> disklabel -w -r /dev/sd2s4 zip100
> 			^^<== Partition number from fdisk.
>
> --
> Justin T. Gibbs
>   Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM
>   FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations

Hi

when I use fdisk on the zip drive I get the following message:
ioctl DIOCWLABEL: Operation not supported by device.

I have a aha1542c scsi controller and the zip drive is
seen with: 96 cylinders, 32 sectors, 64 heads.

so I inserted your sequence in my disktab file

I suppose that 196576 is the number of sector on the parition.

from fdisk I get 196607. so I tried with both values.

but I get:
sd1s4: raw partition size != slice size
sd1s4: start 1, end 196607

I tried to install a partition size of 196576 but I get:
sd1s4: raw partition size != slice size
sd1s4: start 1, end 196576, size 196576
sd1s4c: start 1, end 20000, size 20000

Euh ?

I wonder why the said start 1, end 2000 for the c partition.

It's very strange.

I've not been able to come up with a solution. I probably missed
something very important in the fdisk/disklabel manual.

by the way, how can I access an existing msdos partition on a zip drive ?

Is there any FAQ about the zip drive ?

if there is not any FAQ for the zip drive I can try to write one after
having resolved my problems.

--
Didier Derny
didier@aida.org