Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:20:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        conrads@neosoft.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Advice on audio strategy needed

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 08:55:25 -0700 Amancio Hasty said:
>Just disable the CS4232C and use your AWE ..
>
>Your motherboard should come with a manual which should have the info
>on how to disable the CS4232c if not just call the motherboard manufacturer.
>
>Here is an old posting from Randal Hopper:
>From: rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
>To: multimedia@freebsd.org, bkogawa@primenet.com
>Subject: ANN: AWEDRV 0.2.99c
>
>AWE32 & Sound Blaster 32 owners:
>
>     AWEDRV 0.2.99c was released recently.  This drops right into a
>2.2-ALPHA kernel -- just follow INSTALL.frbsd in the driver package.  New
>features: recent versions now allow loading .SBKs/.SF2s directly without
>patching, and also support stereo/multi-layer instruments.
>
>     If you'd like to try it, I've created a help page you might want to
>browse:
>
>     http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv/
>
>	Have fun,
>	Amancio

Uh, I believe that he said that the onboard audio _could_not_ be disabled.

While I've never run into such a setup, I'm willing to believe that a
"bottom feeder" MB manufacturer would leave out control of on-board
devices, leaving you with only PnPray to enable/disable it.

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting