Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:13:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      FreeBSD user <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Running multiple interactive processes in screen

Sorry about this being off topic, but I don't know where else to ask and
though this group has enough brain power to muscle something out for me.
I'm trying to start several interactive process in screen through a shell
script, each in a separate window. Ideally if I run runme.sh, it will
start one screen process that has multiple windows, each window running a
different program. Ie., runme.sh will create a screen with a session name
of 'Sys', and within it will have three windows. The first running top,
the second 'systat -i' and the third 'systat -n'. Then all I have to do is
attach to that screen session, and do a '^A n' to rotate between all three
windows. Is this possible?

Thus far, I can create the named screen session (screen -S Sys), and then
within it I do a 'screen top', then '^A n' to switch back to the first
window with the shell, then 'screen systat -i', another '^A n', then just
a 'systat -n'. This works, but very cumbersome. I would like to script all
that into a runme.sh, but I can't figure out how to get to that part. Any
thoughts on how to create new windows in an existing screen without user
interaction with ^A's?

Thanks in advance.