Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 05:19:22 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>, k4n _ <k4n@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD webdesign

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 09:35:10PM +0200, Roelof Osinga wrote:
> k4n _ wrote:
> >
> > I thought maybe you would be interested in a free website redesign(or
> > something) so I downloaded the HTML for your site, and made a few changes. I
> > made the background black, redid the FreeBSD logo slightly, and darkened the
> > logos at the bottom to match the color scheme. If you are interested I can
> > send you a copy, I think it looks pretty cool. See you later
>
> Why do people always assume that dark is cool. The purpose of a website
> is to convey information. That means good readability, not looks. Whereas

or someting long the lines of disabled people with various
levels of visual acuity loss, the poor screen resolutions used
by crts thes days, generally 70-90 dpi and finally those with
colour diferentiation and distortion difficulties

> beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, readability assuredly does not.

sure is, and, teh freebsd is bearly readable because of teh
all white background .. far better fro it to been a dark blue or
cft black, i.e. all guns quiesent, ps this is not a real black,
it depends on teh glass coatings. the phosphor types, thier
retentivity and ignition characteristics.

but this is not a technical discussion about crt construction,
and or human visual acuity responce, is it ?

> Barring the by now ancient amber CRT phosphor colors most research
> shows that black on white (note the order) is best readable.

philips researches (eindhoven - please excuse the name
spelling, incase i get it really wrong) in conjunction with
wiether siemans and or nixdorf of germany discoverd that a
particular shade of blue (fairly luminescent, but not very
'visually bright') was the best 'colour' to use as teh std
or default background state of teh viisble crt page.

thier was a small hitch in this whole process, viola, people
didn;t like the colour and so teh crt never saw the light of
day .. latent puns intended.

with regrds to this particular shade of blue, it was found that
it induced the least amount (virtually zero) of muscle jitter
(stress) because teh eye didn't "have to look at it", that is
the background essentiall disapeard. thier were also other
issues, regardsing and inparticular how the rods and conse in
the retina actually responded to that particular frequency
distribution (er, the colour of the lighting)

o'well their is no accounting fro fashion or peoples inate
stupidity ... grin.

please note i use a fairly old nec multisync mk 1 with a not so
"ergonomically correct" (fortunately for me) i.e a very harsh
(high contrast) crt, nec no longer makes this kind of tube. to
many americans sued becaue of eye strain i suppose ? i also use
exclusively white on black, even when i (on very rare
ocassions) venture into x11 realm.

> The FreeBSD site is emminently readable,

i challange your view .. the freebsd site is bearly viewable,
let alone readable, by anyone who dosent have (as teh americans
say 20/20 visual acuity and a fairly std colour diferantion.
this doenst adress other such issues as page layout fro people
who have to use a font that is say 20-30 percent bigger, thsi
by the way is the NORMAL range fro comfort variation on the
stasard poor quality monitor (less that about 150 dpi).
"disabled" people require font re-sizeings measured in 100's of
percent to achieve reability, not a meager 20 to thirty percent.

> whereas the old freshmeat site
> was not. In fact with my previous monitor's settings I couldn't even
> read that site without upping the brightness (I'm a programmer, for
> text high contrast is needed contrary to the high brightness for graphics
> work). Clearly I was not alone in that they changed to a much
> brighter color scheme. As well as black"er" on white lettering.

sounds like you and all the rest know (i suppose it would be
better to say, understand) very little about how to set up a
monitor package to get the best 'screen to eye' connectivity.

in short, the rooms ambient lighting -- its colour temperature
and placement with respect to the crt screen and your eyes will
determine how good or bad a particular monitor will "look".
people make the same mistake with telivision set setiing up as
well,

by the way. once you get this right, you can use very low
contrast and brightness settings on you monitor. this will in
turn preserg you output guns, teh eht stage transformer and vht
capacitor stage .. no more expensive eht circuit replaceemnts
from over dirven componets. and, so the list continues.

please note, i've just touched upon some of teh relevent issues
to this discussion, thier are many others that would require
much indepth understaninding by al parties concerned. what i've
tried to present in a fairly dispassionate manner are some of
the issue that require the least amount of effort to give signifficant
advantage to all people who are inside the so called 'standard
envelope' and that would greatly aid teh visability of teh site
by thoose not so well endowed, either by God or as a result of
accident.

regards,

jonathan

... toilets may be "disabled", people are not.