Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:02:10 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Gary Thorpe <gat7634@hotmail.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple threads for interrupts

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 08:47:24PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
[...]
> I do, though, have lots of papers on receiver livelock that I've
> posted the references to before.  The problem there is that most
> people don't read papers.

  I think that more of the problem is that some people do read papers
and, what's more, understand them;  however, what these people are
actually looking for is not more references to papers, but
implementation of the concepts presented in those papers for FreeBSD,
proving that those concepts also apply to _our_ system.
  Certain approaches work well with others, and different approaches may
work less well.  I'm not claiming that your suggestions are bad, I'm
just stating that they shouldn't be taken as being totally correct for
us as we cannot adequately evaluate them right now [*].
  However, you did initially mention that it would be good to see some
sort of evaluation happen, and so perhaps I just misunderstood you and
wrongly interpreted you once you started to make claims that seemed to
suggest (to me) without a doubt that your solution is THE best one.
  If that is indeed the case, then I appologize.  I maintain the "GEB"
is a book worth reading, though. :-)

[*] In fact,
Chuck just posted in response to this thread and made some very good
points regarding performance, and how we may find that the optimal
solution is different for different SMP configurations.

--
Bosko Milekic
bmilekic@unixdaemons.com