Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2008 03:37:16 +0400
From:      Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Redd Vinylene" <reddvinylene@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the coolest thing you do in Ruby?

--Signature=_Wed__27_Aug_2008_03_37_16_+0400_PTTdPKrYSuJUKQ1f

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:09:36 +0200
"Redd Vinylene" <reddvinylene@gmail.com> mentioned:

> Hello hello!
>=20
> I was sorta shocked when I found out this mailinglist even existed.
> Being a newcomer to Ruby, though, extremely passionate about it, I'd
> like to ask you all this question:
>=20
> What's the coolest thing you do in Ruby?
>=20
> As for me, I envision myself to one day, after having achieved
> complete mastery, to make some CLI suite of scripts to do the same
> thing http://www.native-instruments.com, http://www.digidesign.com,
> various VST effects/instruments and other interesting audio signal
> processors. I envision myself creating an "army" of (fully legit)
> moneymaking scripts, as part of my quest to becoming a wealthy and
> successful IT entrepreneur.
>=20
> So how about you guys?
>=20

Seems that you have a nice working plan:-) AFAIK, there're no
good quality open VST software our there, so you project should
have a great success. I also think Ruby is a very good platform
for this as it allows a great level of abstraction and iterative
way of building software.

As for me, I haven't done anything great in ruby yet. My biggest
project in ruby is the distributed task system, that we use for
our projects. It allows to submit jobs and track the status of
job in realtime, while the working processes (workers) could
attach to the bus and take tasks for execution. However, there
seems to be memory leaks in the system somewhere, which I'm still
trying to get rid of. So I may admit ruby isn't still quite
ready for 24x7 mode projects, or I can't write in ruby well:-)

Good luck with you projects! You can always ask for a help here.

--=20
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE