Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 19:19:23 +0200
From:      Havard Eidnes <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
To:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   More 3C589 problems

Hi,

I have tried and failed to get my 3C589B to work with a self-made
FreeBSD boot floppy, based on latest (April) snapshot, with the
only change being that I replaced the kernel with a -current
kernel as of yesterday.  The 3C589 card is probed fine, the
correct ethernet address is read out and everything looks ok
until I try using the card.  I see absolutely no packets coming
from my laptop when using tcpdump on a neighbouring machine.
After trying to ping a given address for somewhat less than 10
seconds, it says "Host down" or something like that (I guess it
didn't receive a reply to it's ARP request).

This is on a laptop with a Cirrus PD672x rev3 PCMCIA bridge chip,
which I understand is a clone of the Intel PCMCIA chip, and from
searching/reading the mail archives, this hardware combination
was supposed to work.

The depressing thing is that the same hardware works just fine
under Linux with David Hinds' package, so that is what I am
reverting to for the time being. :-( ;-)

The only difference I could spot was that the FreeBSD driver
placed the card at i/o 0x300, irq 10, whereas the Linux driver
placed it at i/o 0x2e0, irq 9, but I guess the only thing
differing here is the programming of the bridge chip, right?

Thought you guys might like to know that there may still be bugs
crawling around in this vicinity...

Regards,

- H=E5vard

PS. If you follow up on this, please CC me as I am not yet a
member on any of the freebsd lists.