Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:00:45 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gustau_P=E9rez?= <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel driver patch 11.0

On 28/11/2011 10:25, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> hi,
> I see a thread on work in progress to support the on-chip video
> card on recent intel CPU/chipsets. Does anyone have an URL for
> patches and possibly summary instructions on how to try this code ?
>
> I am trying to make xorg work on a FreeBSD/amd64 system with an
> i7-2600k CPU and the onboard video controller, and vesa is a no-go,
> as it crashes the system as soon as i switch VTYs or change
> resolution above 1024 pixels...
>
> thanks
> luigi
> __________________

   hi,

   check this:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU

   basically ffetch the last patch to your kernel sources and recompile.
Keep in mind that when kldloading i915 you won't have any tty because of
the modesetting. The i915 will automatically set hw.dri.debug=2 which
will slow down things, so I recommend you setting it to 0 if it works
for you.

   It would also help using the last xorg (not the ports one) by
checking out this:

          svn co
http://trillian.chruetertee.ch/ports/browser/branches/xorg-dev

   I also recommend you to use this script to merge the xorg-dev tree:

http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/xorg/xorgmerge

   the xorg dev tree includes latest libdrm and friends. In fact I would
first recompile X and then try with the intel driver if I were you. I've
tried a few different cards (the newest is a sandy-m) in that way with
quite success.

   Gus