Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 1995 19:16:29
From:      shane@et.pronex.com (Shane Anderson)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   modems

BTW, thanks for all of the previous help and pointers...

My problem is with a simple dial up.  I have followed the faq, as
well as 4.4 SMM.  I have also taken advice given to another
here to init the modem with stty -f /dev/ttyd0 ...  ttyd0 (AKA
COM1) is set up in the gettytab as (either) an std.57600 (or)
std.115200, as determined by the appropriate entry in /etc/ttys

I am definitely getting a connection but the terminal gets garbage
upon pressing [ENTER].  The term is Telix, so I doubt the problem
lies there.  The term is running a USR 14.4 and the host is on a
Microcomm DeskporteFAST 28.8.

Seems that I am very close but perhaps could use some tuning at
the host side.  Anyone have specific init strings that work for
them?

BTW, just _how_ do you send an init string to the modem
without booting DOS and redirecting a command line to COM1 (echo
ATZ > COM1)  This technique does not seem to work here (echo
atz>/dev/ttyd0)  heh, it was worth a try...

Thanks in advance.

shane

-----
Shane G. Anderson