Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 1995 22:22:00 +0000
From:      Ron Steele <rjs@clark.net>
To:        question freebsd <freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Manual Install?

I have about dispared trying to install 0622 SNAP via the menus and am
wondering if there is a way to do it manually.  I am trying to ftp the
distribution from a local 2.0R machine.  I am consistanly told the ftp
has timed out (which happens in a fraction of a second) or that my
enet interface (novell NE2000) can not be configured.  On any given
boot, either error can occur.

When I <ALT> f4 to get to a shell I can ifconfig the interface and ping
the server with no problems.  Then I find that there is no place to FTP
to, as the installation disk is shown a mounted on a directory that
apparently does not exist (/mnt and /mnt/usr)!  Is this related to the
message about the disk being read-only?  I have not found a way to
change this.

Particulars:
2.0R host is dial-up ppp'ed to a Internet provider.  The enet card it is
is used only for this kind of thing and to transfer data from a note book.
There is no name server running.  No gateways.  The only valid IP
address I have is for the ppp connection to the provider, so I am forced
to use a made-up one on the enet.

The "new" system is an old 386 box to be used as a "firewall" at my
employer's.  There is no DOS partion as this thing just sits around and
talks to networks all day.  The new disk is an IDE with a 59MB /,
39MB swap and 135MB /usr, allocated in that order via the install
menus.

If anyone can help sort this out, either manually or some clues about how
to make the install scripts work I would really appreciate it.  It's
probably just me, but EVERY time I try to do an install, going back to
early 386BSD, it is like a bad trip to the dentist.  I keep seeing these
testimonials about how easy it is to install wonder if I am cursed.

Ron