Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:29:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        plm@xs4all.nl (Peter Mutsaers)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: why /usr/libexec/cc* static?

Hi Peter,

> Hello,
>
> I just did a make world again, with current (without any problems for
> the first time since the Lite-2 merge started!).
>
> I noted that /usr/libexec/cc* (the C compiler passes) are linked
> statically, and wonder why? cpp and cc itself are linked dynamically,
> so it's not as if one could recompile libc in case something would be
> wrong with libc.so etc.

Here is the answer:

(cvs log Makefile ...)

RCS file: /usr/cvsroot/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc1/Makefile,v
Working file: Makefile
[...]
head: 1.11
[...]
revision 1.7
date: 1995/10/01 20:16:27;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -1
Build cc1 nonshared. This actually results in it consuming 40K *less* disk
space and improves compile times by a few percent.

Wolfgang