Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2009 14:17:16 +0000
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
To:        Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unhappy Xorg upgrade

On Sunday 01 February 2009 13:11:21 Alex Goncharov wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:33:56 +0000 I wrote:
> | That is not to say the new Xorg doesn't work. The only problems I've
> | seen on Radeons needed a couple of options lines in xorg.conf due to
> | the hald/dbus/xorg race and an fdi to make the keyboard layout match
> | what I actually have rather than "us". Easily fixed for now and 7.4
> | brings some fixes to my systems that I have been awaiting for quite
> | some time, most notably the horrendous XPress 200M chipset now works
> | with DRI.
>
> Knowing about specific things now fixed for specific users is very
> encouraging.

I had better post to the lists exactly what I did, having thrown that
encouraging word out:

Ensure the files section doesn't contain anything like RGBPath if you've
upgraded, then add Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False" and Option
"AutoAddDevices" "False" to the server layout section in xorg.conf. Then
create a file ${LOCALBASE}/etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-input.fdi with the following
contents:

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
      <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">gb</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Restart hald etc.

This cleared up all issues of not playing nice with moused, missing keyboards
and quotemarks on my @ key ;o) Obviously, you'll want to replace "gb" with
whatever layout you require from ${LOCALBASE}/share/X11/xkb/symbols/. Note I
have not tried hotplugging a USB mouse on this configuration. That's to come
on the laptop, which works fine with its trackpad (although middle and right
clicks have been redefined to three and two finger taps respectively - it was
the other way around) with the updated xf86-input-synaptics driver.

Which brings me to another little niggle: <aside> Has anyone on list noticed
that statically compiling a keymap in your kernel >7.0-RELEASE ends up with
the US layout in single user mode regardless? This used to work, but now it
doesn't, unless I've missed something in NOTES somewhere. </aside>

> Thanks a lot!

You're very welcome.

Best regards,
--