Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 15:04:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: support for AIC 7895

In article <XFMail.971205094537.schwarz@cx25450-a.dt1.sdca.home.com>,
	Steven Schwarz <schwarz@cx25450-a.dt1.sdca.home.com> writes:
> I recently put together a system based upon the Tyan Thunder 2
> motherboard, which has on-board an Adaptec AIC 7895 SCSI controller.
> (This is supposed to be "equivalent to a 3940-AUW", to quote the
> motherboard documentation.  Strangely, the Adaptec web site seems to
> contain no info on the AIC 7895.)
>
> I am attempting to get this SCSI controller to play with FreeBSD,
> starting from 3.0-971022-SNAP.

You probably won't have much luck.  The 7895 does away with a few registers
that the FreeBSD driver uses, so simply adding the device ID won't get
you very far.  I actually do have the 7895 up and working here using the
CAM SCSI driver, and since you run current, it should be fairly straight
forward for you to pull down a CAM snapshot and get this support.  The
next CAM snapshot (the first to include 7895 support) should be happening
this weekend.

The 7895 is a really nice chip, and although the CAM driver already supports
it, you can expect to see additional performance improvements made to the
driver as support is added for all the new features in this chip.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations