Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 2002 22:57:28 +0000
From:      "Joe Blow" <cj794@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Installation: Cable Modem + FTP

Hello,

I recently had broadband cable installed by Telstra Bigpond (Australian
provider), which necessitated the removal of FreeBSD 4.3-R and the
installation of Win98. Now that the party is over, I want to install FreeBSD
4.5-R via FTP from ftp.freebsd.org or a suitable mirror.

I will use the program BPAlogin -- which was developed independently for
Unix users of Telstra Bigpond -- to login after I have 4.5 up and running.
I've prepared kern.flp and mfsroot.flp per standard procedure. I have all of
the network details written down (default gateway, subnet mask, etc.).

My questions are:

How will I authenticate with the appropriate server during the sysinstall
stage?

Has anyone reading this performed an FTP install using Telstra Bigpond
cable? If so, what did you have to do?

I haven't really investigated the authentication protocol(s) or their
relationship with DHCP which I know the network uses, so at the moment I'm
wondering whether or not it's possible for me to install 4.5 in the
aforementioned manner.

Thanks in advance.