Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 20:41:54 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Engine management system under FreeBSD.

In message <20020403183401.GA43578@genius.tao.org.uk>, Josef Karthauser writes:

>We're not talking too high intervals here, probably the maximum timing
>speed is around 13k rpm, so that's still in the ms range of things.
>
>What I'd like to do is use the printer port to sample timing signals and
>to drive the fuel injector solenoid and plug sparks.
>
>Before I start has anyone any advice that they can share with me, other
>than I'm stark raving bonkers.

Well, we knew that already :-)

I would be somewhat worried about jitter if I were you, I don't
know what the jitter sensitivity actually is for an engine, but
running at 13kRPM we are talking roughly 4.5msec per turn, so all
things considered I would expect that your ignition window is well
short of a millisecond, and I wouldn't be surprised if the window
inside which you want to adjust might be considerably less than a
millisecond wide.

Doing that from software practically rules out any high-level.

You might consider putting a PIC out there for the actual timing,
and having a control interface to it along the lines of "pulse this
line move ignition earlier, pulse that one and move ignition later.