Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 12:23:26 -0400
From:      "Donald J. Maddox" <dmaddox@scsn.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with -current ppp

    Some of the recent changes to PPP seem to have broken it for me...
Since I haven't seen any messages from others experiencing the same
problems, I have to assume that something in my configuration is
causing the problem, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what
it is.  Here's the relevant info:

# ppp -auto scsn
Sep 20 10:08:22 rhiannon ppp[156]: Error: Tcp: Can't open socket 3000: No password in ppp.secret

    So, it is impossible to telnet to port 3000 to control PPP.  If I create
an /etc/ppp/ppp.secret for test purposes, ppp can open port 3000, but that's
not what I want, because then only a very small handful of ppp's control
commands are available.

The Config Files:

-----------------
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf
-----------------

#
# Default setup. Executed always when PPP is invoked.
#
default:
 set log +lcp +lqm +phase +chat +command +connect +carrier +link
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set timeout 0
 set speed 115200
 set ctsrts on
 set parity none
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

scsn:
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 disable pred1
 deny pred1
 set redial 1 1000
 set reconnect 1 1000
 set phone 7790055
 set login "TIMEOUT 20 ogin: <myusername> word: <mypassword>"
 set ifaddr 0.0.0.0/0 206.25.246.43/0 255.255.255.255
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

-------------------
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup

MYADDR:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR
 add MYADDR 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1

    I can't see anything above that should be forcing password authorization.

    The above worked fine until some recent changes to ppp (I wish I could
be more specific :-(  The problem started about a week or two ago.)  I do a
'make world' almost every day, but the problem persists.

    Anybody got a clue for me?