Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 01:43:44 -0700
From:      Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEW CODE: polling support for device drivers.

Luigi and all,

That looks very interesting to me.... I would like to follow up with a
question, just because of my interest in getting maximum packet
forwarding performance out of FreeBSD....

As I see it, the advantage of the polling code is to avoid interrupts
and context switches.

Is it possible to implement all the basic packet forwarding to run to
completion at interrupt, ie, when a packet comes in, the interrupt code
would run until the packet has been sent out on another interface, and
then loop back to see if there's more incomming packets, in a polling
fashion.

That would give the advantage of the polling, but without the latency.

I'm mostly a hardware guy, so bear over with me if it's not possible at
all....

Regards,

Soren