Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:54:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Japanese handbook

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> sgmlfmt can handle the html conversion but not nroff or ascii, which
> need a groff that understands Japanese (ports/japanese/groff).  I
> guess we can disable ascii formatting by default for now.
>
> What do you think?

Since I'm overhauling the sgml->whatever conversion process,
could I get my hands on this translation for testing?  I'd hate
to break something that works...

General doc translation news: outside of a few minor glitches and
aesthetic tweaks, generation of postscript via groff is to the
level where (barring LOUD complaints) LaTeX support is no longer
necessary and will be dropped.  However, if there is a demand
from the /vmunix.el fanatics, TeXinfo should be fairly trivial to
add.

Some reorganization of /usr/share/sgml will happen, a new program
called instant (for manipulating SGML document "instances") will
be brought in, and sgmlsasp and rast will be removed.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================