Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:25:26 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@awod.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:31:47AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Mike Murphree <w4lna@knology.net>
> > Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 06:32:34 -0600
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > On Tuesday 05 March 2002 04:03 am, Herve Quiroz wrote:
> > > I have not been member of this list until recently so I have probably
> > > missed some discussion on the topic. Anyway, what is going on with Xfree86
> > > v4.2 ? I once had seen XFree86 4.2 on freshports.org but then it came back
> > > to 4.1 few days later...
> > >
> > > NetBSD has already 4.2 in -stable so why not FreeBSD ?
> > >

> > The port was at 4.2.0 shortly before the release of FreeBSD 4.5 and
> > it was rolled back to 4.1.9 because of insufficient testing time before the
> > release.  It has never been put back...
> >
> > I've been running 4.2.0 since that time with zero problems.
>
> This is not why the 4.2 port was pulled. The main reason was that
> XF86-4.2 was added to the ports just prior to the release of FreeBSD
> 4.5. It was felt that it was unwise to include a new release of
> XFree86 that was largely untested in a new release of FreeBSD, so the
> port was pulled.
>
> At the same time it was decided that it was a good time to convert
> XFree86 from a port to a meta-port. This has been under discussion for
> some time and the 4.2 release looked like a good time to cut over. So
> the 4.2 port appeared and disappeared from the tree, but is still
> available and works fine.
>
> (If you don't know what a meta-port is, look at /usr/ports/x11/gnome/Makefile.)

So what are teh _advantegse_ of a metaport?

O'm dealing with on _disdvantage_ at the moment. For reasons involving
my own stupidity, I find myself with a broken Gnome installlation even
though the ports db thinks it' fine. But since it's a metaport, I can't
just do "portupgrade -f gnome" :-(

Must be a positive side to this, right? Otherwise you could just install
all of it with a trivial shell loop over the various appropriate
directories in the ports tree.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin