Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:34:59 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   restore: first tape broken, how restore the others?

Hi!

I have a problem with restoring from tape:

The first tape is broken and can't be read. The second (and
last) tape is OK, and I wan't to restore what is there. How can
that be done? Here's what happens when I try:

# restore Rvf /dev/nrsa0
Initialize symbol table.
Mount tape volume 1
Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
otherwise enter tape name (default: /dev/nrsa0)
Wrong volume (2)
Mount tape volume 1
Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
otherwise enter tape name (default: /dev/nrsa0)

so, I tried this

# restore rvf /dev/nrsa0
Verify tape and initialize maps
Tape block size is 10
Dump   date: Wed Mar 29 18:25:07 2000
Dumped from: the epoch
Level 0 dump of /music/h-z on
trumpet.partitur.se:/dev/vinum/cluster3
Label: none
Tape is not volume 1 of the dump

Very informative... Same happens with restore ivf ... :(

The first tape broke while restoring the data back from the
tape, so I have a restoresymtable, for what it is worth...

The tapes are DSS-2 (DAT 12/24 GB) using a Seagate Python taper
(SCSI). This is on FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE. Dump was run as 'dump
0af /dev/nrsa0 /filesys'.

How can I get the second tape's data onto a filesystem?

Thanks,
Palle