Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:41:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   snd0 & snd1

It took me quite some time to get my sound card to play. This is
perhaps due to some incorrect info in the man page for pcm. But I do
not like to report it to gnats, as I am not sure I understand all
things involved. It may be my own stupidity.

Man pcm tells me to MAKEDEV snd1 (note *one*). I did. Sound card did
nothing in KDE. So I tried a simple audio program from the ports:
play. This complained about missing dsp. There was a dsp in my /dev:
dsp1 created by MAKEDEV snd1, including a link from dsp to dsp1.

As there is no man for dsp to read, I searched afar and anear until I
came upon ch. 5.4 of the handbook, which tells me to do MAKEDEV snd0
(note *zero*).

That did the trick. For play as well as for the KDE-media-player.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? TIA!

kernel conf is:

# Sound
device          pcm0
device          sbc0

dmesg is:

FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Nov 29 00:02:01 CET 1999
    marc@propro.oldserver.demon.nl:/usr/src/sys/compile/PROPRO
[...]
sbc0: <Creative ViBRA16C PnP> at port
0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
pcm0: <SB PCM Audio> on sbc0
unknown0: <Game> at port 0x200-0x207 on isa0

Marc
Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	 10:26pm  up            22:22,  load average: 1.08 1.03 1.00