Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 16:33:21 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java-based Crypto Decoder Ring gets NIST FIPS 140-1 certification (fwd)

Chuck Robey wrote:
> I'm not asking if the software exists ... if it doesn't (and I know it
> doesn't yet)

... well, some of it actually *does* exist!

Steve Passe <smp@csn.net> developed some C++ code that interfaces to an
iButton (or any Dallas Semiconductor MicroLAN product) using a simple
busmaster that you can assemble.

Using that code as a basis, I'm developing some Java code that does the
same thing, but uses the Dallas Semiconductor DS2485 busmaster.

MicroLAN, upon which the iButtons are based, is really nifty: using a
single data line, most devices use parasitic power off the bidirectional
data line to power themselves.  There are remote addressable switches,
temperature sensors, and serial numbers.  Both of Steve and I use them
in our home automation shenanigans.

> I can do that part, I'm interested if this really
> represents a secure method for me to be able to do something like carry
> around my whole 1024 bit private key with me, and use the $15 (yes, it's
> only $15!) ISA card to interface to the ring, and tell the system
> securely who I am.  I want to know if there are any hidden traps to
> doing logins that way.

I hope not, since I'm planning on using my iButton to arm and disarm the
home security system.  I get the added bonus of a record of who did it
(me, wife, or future kids), and a nearly nil chance that anyone else can
disarm it.

Go for it!
--Sean