Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:57:02 -0700
From:      othermark <atkin901@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   devices disappear after bsdlabel -B

Hi, I need some help here:

I had two machines running on a April version of -current that I upgraded
recently to the lastest iteration.   After installing and rebooting
however, the serial console settings reverted to 9600 for the kernel.  "No
big deal," I thought, and I reapplied the bootstrap code with bsdlabel -B.

The command I ran was 'bsdlabel -B /dev/ad6s1', and when I rebooted the
serial speed setting was the correct one compiled into the bootstrap.
However I was presented with:

   Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad6s1a

   Manual root filesystem specification:
                          eg. ufs:da0s1a
     ?                  List valid disk boot devices
     <empty line>       Abort manual input
   mountroot>

Eventually I found 'ufs:ad6' was able to mount as root, but now I had no
access to the swap partition which used to be on ad6s1b.

Now the only /dev entry is /dev/ad6.

So, two questions:

- where the heck did the partition info/devices on s1a and s1b go?
- how do I fix it?  Some 'glabel' magic?

Additional info:

$ bsdlabel /dev/ad6
# /dev/ad6:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a: 152205312        0    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28552
  b:  4096176 152205312      swap
  c: 156301488        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't
edit

[root@pogo-4 ~]# diskinfo /dev/ad6
/dev/ad6        512     80026361856     156301488       155061  16      63

--
othermark
atkin901 at nospam dot yahoo dot com