Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:25:31 +1000
From:      Paul Koch <paul.koch@statseeker.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 Release - Pentium install panic and some questions

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:03 am, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > Try disabling ACPI.  Many old systems have buggy ACPI
> > > implementations. Sometimes this can be fixed by a BIOS upgrade.
> >
> > A Pentium 150Mhz aged machine wouldn't have ACPI, would it ?
>
> I don't know..nevertheless, please try it :)
>
> Kris

Ok, a bit of confusion here.  When booting from floppy on these
machines, the option is to "Boot FreeBSD with ACPI enabled", while on
other machines it says "Boot FreeBSD with ACPI disabled".  Looks like
this is from beastie.4th.  We tried both options and it still panics
when it is extracting base (ie. you can partition, newfs, etc... using
sysinstall). It gets about 2% of the way through extracting base.

So, tried going to the command line from the loader menu and unloaded
all loaded modules, and disabled further loading of ACPI, then
continued booting.  The kernel is loaded into memory, we get the "Too
many holes in physical memory" message and it panics immediately after
the copyright message with a:

Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address: 0xb5
fault code = supervisoer read, page not present
..... some other guff....
panic: page fault
uptime: 1s

This is the error condition we experienced with our RNA before bumping
up the phys_avail[] in machdep.c

I am planning to ditch all of these old Pentium machines because they
are too much of a problem.  I'll keep one for a little longer if you
like to figure out what is going on.

	Paul.