Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:36:54 +1200
From:      Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
To:        Kimmo Alm <kimmoa@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Annoying FreeBSD > 4.11 ASUS PSCH-SR/SATA mobo incompability

Kimmo Alm wrote:
> Hey,
>
> My ASUS PSCH-SR/SATA won't work in FreeBSD versions over 4.x. I have
> tested 5.x, 6.x and even a current 7.x one.
>
> CD: "bootonly".
> Problem: Loads kernel, and then basically freezes, overwriting
> characters on the screen (at the boot menu with the options).
>
> Among the zillions of things I've tested to solve this problem include:
> Testing another videocard (PCI -- not on-board), testing without the
> S-ATA enabled, updated BIOS to the latest version (hardware made in 2004
> and last BIOS update in late 2005), changing a ton of settings in the
> BIOS, installing the OS on another box and moving the HDD... Nothing works.

Have you tried installing 4.11 and upgrading via source to 5.4 (see
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/migration-guide.html)?

I ran into cases a bit like this with some Tyan mobos and Promise RAID
cards,  (however I normally saw the freeze as the kernel was loading,
rather than afterwards). They would boot fine from disk after 5.x was
installed.

Cheers

Mark