Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:10:17 GMT
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/78239: [patch] Building www from cvs without doc

The following reply was made to PR www/78239; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To: "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@offmyserver.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:07:27 +0100

 --cQXOx3fnlpmgJsTP

 On 2005.03.01 13:54:57 +0100, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
 > On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 13:51 +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
 > > On 2005.03.01 13:34:00 +0100, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
 > > >=20
 > > > 	I might be missing something here, but it appears to me to be
 > > > 	impossible to build the www tree without also having the doc/
 > > > 	module.
 > >=20
 > > This is correct - it's a choice, not a bug.  The web site you will get
 > > built withoing having doc/ is incomplete, though you can do www/ build
 > > without doc/ to do tests of most individual pages.
 > >=20
 > > This should probably be documented more clearly...
 >=20
 > Then perhaps it would be beneficial to apply the second part of the
 > patch only? It seems logical that this is only an issue for people new
 > to the www build process (such as myself, heh), so just typing ``make''
 > and having it tell me about the WEB_ONLY knob as well would probably
 > save some confusion in the future.

 Yes, I will try to have a look at it when I get home tonight.

 > Sorry if this is well-documented on the list; I guess I should have
 > searched here first.

 Well, I actually don't think it is... The dependency was added when
 the mirror list was started to be auto generated from XML, I don't
 think it has been brought up later.

 In general not that many people build www/ by them self :-).

 --=20
 Simon L. Nielsen

 --cQXOx3fnlpmgJsTP

 --cQXOx3fnlpmgJsTP--