Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 21:50:58 -0300
From:      Fernando Ariel Gont <fgont@softhome.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ARP makes a LAN "vulnerable"?

Hi!

I read that ARP is used to "translate" an IP address to the hardware address of the host (that means, given an IP number of a host, ARP can give me the hardware address of that host).

I've also read that you can configure your machine to reply the ARP requests for a given IP number.
If so, I could configure my host (in a LAN) to reply to all the ARP requests with the hardware address of MY HOST, instead of the hardware address of the real host.
If that is possible, all the LAN information could pass through my machine, and THEN to the real receiver.
I think someone could use this "procedure" to steal information.

Am I wrong?

Regards,

Fernando Ariel Gont

E-mail:   fgont@softhome.net
web site: http://members.xoom.com/gont/

--- "Con las computadoras crearemos una civilizacion de estupidos tecnologicos,
      y una elite se ira quedando con todo. Cuando digo elite me refiero a gente
      como yo, que puede leer." - Ray Bradbury, escritor