Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/28098: mbus leakage in FreeBSD 4.3R somewhere

The following reply was made to PR i386/28098; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc: conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:27:28 +0100

 In message <200106121228.f5CCSe678796@freefall.freebsd.org>, conrad@th.physik.u
 ni-bonn.de writes:
 >There seems to be a mbuf leakage which can be triggered by userland programs (
 >i.e.: gtk-gnutella run by our young folk :-) in 4.3R.
 >
 >The mbufs remain allocated AFTER THE PROGRAM TERMINATES!

 Further diagnostic information provided by Jan suggests that this
 is not an mbuf leak. The gtk-gnutella program seems to be very
 demanding on mbuf resources; the server process had 100-200 tcp
 sockets open, and on many socket transmit queue there were chains
 of 20-30 mbufs containig data (it must be doing lots of small
 writes).

 The mbufs are eventually slowly reclaimed, but I think those on
 the send queues can remain there for some time if the remote client
 stops responding or stops reading from the connection.

 I'll leave the PR open for now until the details are confirmed.
 There is also the issue of the page-faults when mbufs run out,
 but that is probably covered by another PR.

 Ian