Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:54:01 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: attack of the zombies

Quoting Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> (from Sun, 12 Nov 2006 =20
10:55:26 -0800):

> About a week or so ago I updated -current and now linux
> binaries don't seem to collect all zombie processes.
> Eventually the maxproc limit is reached and further forks
> fail so that you can't even do ps (of course, dealing
> sensibly with such errors is another problem with most
> programs but that is a separate discussion).  Work around is
> killing linux programs to allow init to kill the zombies.

You are the first one reporting this problem. I didn't noticed =20
something like this in my regression test runs with the linux test =20
project testcases and all other active developers in this area didn't =20
noticed something like this too (so far). Do you have some small =20
testcases (e.g. with programs in linux_base) or does this apply to a =20
specific workload (like the one below) only?

> This happens with skype, firefox and opera and may be more.
> I reinstalled linux_base-fc-4_9 and all ports depending on it
> -- all updated yesterday.  The problem persists even with

To make sure there is no "garbage" somewhere:
  - remove all linux ports
  - remove /compat/linux/* (rm -rf)
  - install what you need (only from ports)

> yesterday's -current.  This problem showed up sometime
> between Oct 6 and Nov 6.  One significant change I see during
> this time is the treatment of KSE.  But presence or absence
> of nooption KSE does not seem to affect this problem.  BTW,
> linux emulation is loaded as a module.

We are talking about i386, right? Please provide the output of "sysctl =20
compat.linux" (osversion should be set to 2.4.2).

> Also note that the old problem of linux-* programs gobbling
> up lots of memory is still present.  For example, FreeBSD
> opera uses 96MB while Linux opera on FreeBSD needs 236MB + 48
> zombies to displaying exact same 24 pages (same session file
> and *just* after starting!).
>
> Is this a known problem?  Am I doing something wrong?

This is not a known problem (at least not for 2.4.2 compatibility, =20
which is the default in -current). For known problems have a look at =20
http://wiki.freebsd.org/linux-kernel

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
"The only real way to look younger is not to be born so soon."
=09=09-- Charles Schulz, "Things I've Had to Learn Over and
=09=09   Over and Over"

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137