Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 21:19:44 +0200
From:      "David Bateman" <dbateman@club-internet.fr>
To:        chips@XFree86.Org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        chanders@timings.com
Subject:   Re: [chanders@timing.com: Advice for X on SBC with LCD?]

>I would like to get an X server running on a
>640x480 Sharp TFT color panel connected to
>an ISA single board computer.  Advice on how
>to do this will be much appreciated.  Here are
>some details on the setup.
>
>FreeBSD 3.x
>Axiom SBC8242
>      486
>      Chips and Technology F65550 video controller.
>Sharp LQ64D343 640x480 18bit color TFT display.

Where flat panels vary from CRT's is that they have a fixed number of pixels.
The result of this is that the flat panel timings in general never need to be
changed once the BIOS has set them up correctly. So the C&T chipsets, and
probably others as well, have two sets of timing registers. The normal ones for
the CRT and a second set for the flat panel.

Where an SBC differs from a notebook computer is that you attach the screen
yourself. So the BIOS might not be setting up the flat panel registers correctly
for your panel as it might not know about the timings required. The way I'd
suggest working around this is to steal the panel timings from the M$-windows
driver if it works on your machine. Then you can use the "use_modeline" with
XFree to force the modeline to program the flat panel registers

I have utilities to dump the video processors registers under both M$-window
and more sensible operating systems, as well as a utility to convert the register
dumps to suitable modelines. Contact me if you are interested.

Cheers
David

| David Bateman                    | tele:   +33 (1) 69 29 02 47 Work |
| Satimo                           |         +33 (1) 46 04 02 18 Home |
| 4 Rue de la Terre de Feu         | fax:    +33 (1) 69 29 02 27      |
| F-91952 Les Ulis FRANCE          | email: dbateman@club-internet.fr |