Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 02:40:05 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, joelh@gnu.org, tom@uniserve.com, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, irc@cooltime.simplenet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

> >>    FreeBSD's disksort function sorts by block number, not by cylinder number.
> >
> >Hence it being non-optimal; see Mike's post... optimial is "always does
> >exactly the right thing".  It's not pessimal, either (as Mike pointed
> >out, too).
>
>    Uh, I think it is reasonable to assume that disk drives have contiguous
> block numbers (except for replacement blocks of course). Sorting by block
> number is the most optimal way of sorting that we can do in FreeBSD.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this; my point was simply that
disks are effectively nondeterministic, so by definition you can't have
an "optimal" solution.

I've seen assorted drive literature describing different caching
policies on modern drives, and I think it's probably in our interest
not to try too hard to outsmart the disk these days, as it's busy
trying to outsmart us.

If you really wanted to play games with the queue sorter, you might
want to go for a minimal distance insertion policy rather than a strict
ladder sort.  As Kirk pointed out, there's plenty of room for
experimentation in this field. 8)