Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:07:16 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@home.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        pahowes@fair-ware.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

         Always is a strong word.  I would not say always worked
well.  K6-200 with the old "bug", causing anyone with >= 64 megs of memory
trying to compile to get sig11s left and right.  I had to return the
processor to get the "fixed" one.  ;)

         Ancient history though, yes, the new set should be fine.  CPU
wise, I do not think any serious problem has occured since that fatalful
K6-200 which is of a totally different cloth compared to the new AMD Athlon
team.  The only problems would be based on non-intel chipsets with weird
ATA controller causing problems with the ATA drivers in FreeBSD.  I think
those are even resolved now.

         Anyway just wanted to play Devil's Advocate, for the most part,
yes they should work fine.

At 05:58 PM 8/30/01 -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>I don't know where you heard this from, but you heard entirely wrong.
>FreeBSD has always worked very well on AMD and Intel processors.  My
>personal machine has been a K7/900 for a long time now (Slot-A even)
>
>- Jordan
>
>From: "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
>Subject: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors
>Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:35:05 -0400
>
> > All-
> >
> > In the past, I had heard that Linux and FreeBSD didn't work well on the
> > Athlon processors.  Have all of the issues since been resolved?  Now that
> > Tyan has the TigerMP motherboard out for around $200, and the 1.2 GHz
> Athlon
> > MP chips are around $160, building a multiprocessor system is looking
> like a
> > better and better idea.  However, I wanted to first make sure that
> there are
> > no problems that I should be aware of.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --