Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:23:53 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Plan to import NetBSD rc system

Hi folks,

Here's an update on the plan to import the NetBSD rc system into
FreeBSD.

I've contacted Luke Mewburn (the guy behind the new NetBSD rc system)
and he's keen to chat to FreeBSD-heads after his talk at USENIX (FREENIX
track).  I can't make it, but I'd encourage interested parties from the
FreeBSD community to chat to him.  In fact, interested parties are
encouraged to attend his talk. :-)

After USENIX, the plan is that I'll get a hold of his slides and notes
and will post a plan of action to freebsd-hackers, making sure that
folks get a chance to see exactly how the new system is going to work.

I'm not too interested in hearing a lot of whining from people who
haven't given the NetBSD rc system a good look, because it's clear from
the last couple of threads that many people are more than willing to
post comments on something they haven't seen and such posts have
contributed nothing.

In short, the NetBSD rc system scores us startup depdendency management
while preserving the monolithic rc.conf principle.  This adds something
to FreeBSD that's been missing too long, without taking away something
that's widely acknowledged as a very good thing.

Ciao,
Sheldon.