Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 01:10:56 +1000 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel & some basic UNIX pointers (fwd)

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

>    predictor-1 compression is so far superior to what's provided by
>    pppd that I can't see any reason to use anything else now.

One reason that it can't be used in some instances is that it currently
provides no mechanism (that I've found) with which to disable ip-address
negotiation. Specific examples which will always fail are connections to a
box running any KA9Q variant (there are lots) and a Telebit NetBlazer. The
latter component that this machine talks to is configured to reject any
negotiation .. I do not know if that can be changed.

In both instances, the user-mode ppp apparently decides that it can't
confirm the address used by the other end and drops the connection on the
floor. In contrast, "pppd -ip .." works every time,

	michael