Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:25:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Swartzendruber <druber@mail.kersur.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   swapon/savecore question

(please forgive me is this is seen twice.  when I sent it originally,
I was not subscribed, and did so quickly, but I don't know if the
mailing list SW rejects mail from non-members.  anyway...)

I'm a little confused about dumpon&savecore.  I've read the manpages
about these two, and I've looked at the /etc/rc and /etc/rc.conf
stuff relating to them.  I understand the concept of saving the dump
in the swap partition and copying it out on reboot, but the timing
has me puzzled.  e.g. the 'swapon -a' is at the beginning of /etc/rc,
whereas the 'savecore /var/crash' is towards the end of /etc/rc.  If
you enable swapping to the swap partition earlier, what keeps the dump
from being overwritten before savecore can run?  What am I missing?