Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 20:02:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
To:        Patryk Zadarnowski <patrykz@ilion.eu.org>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, Jason <nordwick@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Patryk Zadarnowski wrote:

> > without destabilizing "standards" by constant changes.
>
> Can it? People have been begging ISO to standarise 8 bit charsets for ages.
> If you tried to exchange information in polish in the pre-8859 days, you'd
> know why (about five radically different charsets in common use) Besides, if
> the alphabet for information interchange doesn't deserve standarising, I don't
> know what does.

  Can you guess, which one of of multiple cyrillic charsets never was
actually used in Russia?

  ISO 8859-5.

  And which is still the standard in Russian-language newsgroups,
for russian Unix users and most of Russian-language web pages?

  koi8-r, one of the oldest cyrillic charsets, primarily designed to keep
"intuitive" mapping to ASCII, to remain usable after passing through
characters-mangling old software and to be readable on 7-bit dumb
terminals -- and the last mentioned property is still saving a lot of
trouble for Russians that use mail-to-pager systems. History is more
complex than some people think.

--
Alex