Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 17:00:18 +0000
From:      Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        'Kaya Saman' <kayasaman@gmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Strange case of vanishing disk

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@f=
reebsd.org] On Behalf Of Kaya Saman
Sent: 04 June 2012 02:07
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Strange case of vanishing disk

Hi,

this is a very strange issue but I guess will either be related to 2 things=
, PSU not being powerful enough or disk controller simply being crap.

Here's what's going on. I have a little Chenbro 4 disk mini-ITX NAS=20
server with 2x 2TB disks and 2x4TB disks as storage - all spread out=20
over 2 ZFS storage pools. Additionally I am running the root file system=20
on a 40GB SSD.

The strange thing with this is that I recently installed the 4TB disks=20
and they're brand new.

One disk connected to the system board works fine and shows up as online=20
and on one of the channels using atacontrol list.

The other disk is connected to a Startech.com Jmicron based 2x SATA RAID=20
controller card.

The disk connected to the controller card is having issues. At first the=20
drive wouldn't be seen by the system then after a while all of a sudden=20
it was there. No reboots, no io scans nothing it just appeared.

After blasting it with IO for a few days the disk has now vanished=20
again.....

I had this error in dmesg for a while:

ad4: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=3D113337535

I have tried to use pciconf -lbvv to show the connected interfaces and=20
the JMICRON comes up fine:

atapci0@pci0:2:0:0:    class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x2366197b chip=3D0x2366197b=
=20
rev=3D0x02 hdr=3D0x00
     vendor     =3D 'JMicron Technology Corp.'
     device     =3D 'JMicron JMB366 AHCI/IDE Controller (JMB36X)'
     class      =3D mass storage
     subclass   =3D RAID
     bar   [10] =3D type I/O Port, range 32, base 0xd040, size  8, enabled
     bar   [14] =3D type I/O Port, range 32, base 0xd030, size  4, enabled
     bar   [18] =3D type I/O Port, range 32, base 0xd020, size  8, enabled
     bar   [1c] =3D type I/O Port, range 32, base 0xd010, size  4, enabled
     bar   [20] =3D type I/O Port, range 32, base 0xd000, size 16, enabled
     bar   [24] =3D type Memory, range 32, base 0xd0510000, size 8192, enab=
led

So why isn't the disk?

I reckon as stated at the beginning that either the 180Watt PSU inside=20
the system isn't enough or the controller is just really poor??

Could anyone suggest anything to look into, I'm sure I've covered all=20
the bases but just incase there is something else I can do with this one??

Thanks.

Kaya
"

I have had a similar issue on a 3 machines before and in each case the caus=
e was slightly different, on one updating the motherboard BIOS updated the =
AHCI microcode and the problem went away, another it was the power supply t=
hat was a little under powered and in the third which was much more odd was=
 a faulty ram socket on the motherboard, in that case I had initially thoug=
ht it was the on board sata controller that was the issue so I tried a new =
6 port sata controller but the behaviour was the same, so I know it sounds =
strange but run memtest and see if throws up an errors.

Regards

Graeme