Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 02:16:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Devil Himself <fullermd@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Yimin Hsiao <yihsiao@ucsd.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help!!!

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Yimin Hsiao wrote:

> I just installed emacs from the packages using "pkg_add", but I wasn't able to run it.  I got the following error whenever I typed "emacs" at the # prompt,
> 	ld.so failed: Can't find shared library libXaw.so.6.1
> Can someone help me with this problem?
Can't help you much there; look around your drive and see if that file is
there, and see if you can put it somewhere else; I think someone else on
this list can tell you more about that than I can.

> I also installed gcc from the packages and compiled a test program.  But I couldn't run a.out.  I see the error
> 	a.out not found
> whenever I type a.out.  But the file IS there.  What happened?  It couldn't tell it's an executable?

That's easy.  Check that you have execute rights to that file, say;
chmod 755 a.out.
once you've made sure of that, then you've fallen into the classic UNIX
hole that everyone, especially me, has fallen into more times than we care
to think about.  Unlike DOS, in UNIX, the current directory is NOT in the
search path.
So, unless the dir you are in is already in the $PATH, you have to type:
./a.out
to run it.

> I also wanted to install XWindows.  I downloaded the entire directory
> "XFree86" from the web, but how do I go from there?  /stand/sysinstall
> doesn't seem to work and I want to install it manually.  Can you please
> tell me how?  Thanks.
>
> 				Yimin

I also had trouble installing XFree86 frmo the web.
look in the pub/XFree86 dir on ftp.freebsd.org;
go into the dir for your version of FreeBSD, and look at,umm..
I think it's either README or INSTALL, or something like that.
It's an excellent guide.
Essentially, you have to move all the .tgz files into the directory /usr,
then unzip and untar one by one, or batch.
I do this:
tcsh>sh
# for i in bin cfg (whatever other files; ignore the X32 and the .tgz;
just the stuff in the middle; make sure the case is right) doc fnts; do
>gzip -d X32$i.tgz | tar -xvf
>done
The system will churn for a while, then be done.
Then you have to go into /usr/X11R6/bin, and run the XF86Setup program.
It will step you through setting up your mouse, video, etc.
Once that's all setup, you just type 'startx' to start it up.
Again, refer to that README or INSTALL.TXT or whatever file that is; it'll
prob tell you a lot more than I can or you need to know, but it's nice.

Hope it helps!!

|FreeBSD is good.      FreeBSD is our friend.     UNIX is our god.|
*Micro$oft is bad.                      Micro$oft causes problems.*
|"I hate quotes in signature files"            :-}  MAtthew Fuller|
*fullermd@narcissus.ml.org                          FreeBSD junkie*
|http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd     Westminster College|