Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:50:29 +0200
From:      Luca Pizzamiglio <l.pizzamiglio@bally-wulff.de>
To:        "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ivy Bridge and Xorg 7.7 on i386 FreeBSD 9-1BETA: no hardware acceleration?

On 09/11/12 23:15, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
> On 11.09.2012 19:24, archibald wrote:
>> On 2012-09-11 15:47, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
>>> Greetings x11@,
>>>
>>> I've got the same problem using Ivy Bridge HD4000 (with notorious
>>> optimus). The DE (KDE4) is severely lagging and experiencing seconds'
>>> delays in reaction to mouse/kbd events. So using the desktop is
>>> practically impossible. In `top`, the Xorg process consumes up to 100%
>>> CPU.
>>> When I switch to VESA driver, there is no DE performance problem
>>> (rendering and reactions almost instant, CPU usage by Xorg about
>>> 6-10%).
>>> I have exactly the same software versions installed on another PC but
>>> with nvidia hardware and x11/nvidia-driver, and everything works there
>>> fine, too. So I assume the problem is somewhere around drivers (either
>>> xf86-video-intel, or Mesa layer, or the i1915kms module).
>>>
>>> My system is:
>>> FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE (GENERIC) #0 r240286: Mon Sep 10 14:27:33 MSK
>>> 2012
>>> the latest Xorg from the xorg-dev trunk (xorg-server 1.12.4,
>>> xf86-video-intel-2.20.4)
>>> WITH_KMS=true
>>> WITH_NEW_XORG=true
>>
>> What is the output of:
>> $ xdriinfo
>> and
>> $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
>>
>> (glxinfo is found in graphics/mesa-demos, xdriinfo is in x11/xdriinfo)
>>
>> archibald
>
> $ xdriinfo
> Screen 0: i965
> $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
> OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
> OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
> OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
> OpenGL extensions:
>
> I'd be glad if that helps, looks like nothing special to me though

Hi Yuri,

I tested KMS and NEW_XORG with BSD9 on SandyBridge and IvyBridge.
I've spoken with @x11 guys on IRC and it seems that the problem is: a
bit/knob is not recognized/enabled/activated.
The problem could be everywhere: kernel driver, intel DDX driver,
libdrm, mesa (libdri-libGL-ecc), ecc. That makes the problem hard to find.
ioctl analysis told me nothing, no relevant ioctl error found. I guess
the kernel driver could be not 100% up-to-date, so it misses some bits,
some Ivybridge specific stuffs, but it's just a feeling. It's a hard topic.

Everything is well recognized (you have also to force AIGLX activation,
it's disabled by default with a patch in xorg-server), chip and mesa
library and so on, BUT: if you test some mesa-demos, you could recognize
that the swrast is used (engine, for instance, shows typical artifacts
of the software raster), instead of the right one.

With Sandybridge, no problem.

Best regards,
Luca