Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:40:17 +0100
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        ALeine <aleine@austrosearch.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: backporting GEOM to the 4.x branch

> > Basically, it seems like I should save myself a lot of trouble and just
> > deGEOMify GBDE so it can be integrated into FreeBSD 4.x and DragonFly
> > BSD. I can live without GEOM GATE, but GBDE (or dGDE as it will probably
> > be called once I'm done botching it :->) is something I really really
> > need in 4.x. Would this be something the Core members would like to see
> > committed to RELENG_4?
> >
> > I would also appreciate it very much if you could give me some pointers
> > on deGEOMifying GBDE.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I think it may be
important to look at it at least :

	http://www.filesystems.org/

The project is named FiST and it uses stackable layers so you can,
for example, encrypt file content.  However, this won't encrypt
filesystem metadatas since the upper layer (the one which encrypts
datas) won't have access to them.

FiST is bundled with numerous filesystems templates, but you are free
to write yours.  They use templates to make filesystem writing easier
and also to make the filesystem independant from the operating system
you are using : you can indeed build very easily your filesystem to use
it on FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris (as far as the targeted operating
system in supported).

Last time I checked (about one year ago), FreeBSD 5 was not supported
yet, but it's not your concern.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
--